How To Enroll?
You must take and pass the exam in order to obtain your Associate Certificate. Register for the certificate program here. Once you’re registered, you’ll receive a confirmation email from BMSC.
Contact customer service at 1-855-CALL-DH1 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information on how to register. Also note, once a candidate has taken an exam, whether the score is pass or fail, the registration fee is non-refundable.
How long is the exam?
The HCA (Homecare Coding Associate) certificate exam is 2.5 hours long and contains 50 questions.
The HOA (Homecare OASIS Associate) certificate exam is 2.5 hours long and contains 50 questions.
The HHA (Homecare Hospice Associate) certificate exam is 2.5 hours long and contains 50 questions.
What’s the passing score for the certificate exam?
The passing score for the HCA certificate exam is 80%.
The passing score for the HOA certificate exam is 80%.
The passing score for the HHA certificate exam is 80%.
What to expect when taking the certificate exam
When taking the certificate exam, please take note of the following important information:
- The certificate exam is online and self-proctored
- You will receive the exam results immediately upon completion and if you did not pass, the retake option will be available immediately
- Only the BMSC authorized resources are allowed during the online testing
- BMSC trusts the certificate associate candidate that only the authorized resources will be used during the online testing and abides by the BMSC policies. BMSC does reserve the right to revoke a candidate for misconduct and/or not following any BMSC policies.
HCA and HHA Certificate Exam:
You may use only ONE of the following manuals during the online testing:
- Complete Home Health ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Coding Manual, 2017. Available for purchase in the DecisionHealth online store.
- Complete Home Health ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Coding Manual, 2016
- Any other vendor’s ICD-10 coding manual (2016 or 2017 Edition)
In addition to the above referenced coding manual, you may use the FY2017 official guidelines provided here and the CY2016 ICD-10-CM Case-Mix Adjustment Variables and Scores table provided here during the online exam. Please note, only the watermarked guidelines provided through this link should be used during the online testing as an additional resource.
*Note, BMSC recommends a current code year, 2017, coding manual be used when taking the HCA or HHA certificate exam.
Electronic code look-up systems are NOT allowed during the online testing. A hard copy coding manual is the only allowed resource.
The hard copy coding manual may have tabular section dividers (A through Z) that are affixed. You may have annotations written on the coding manual pages including the notes pages at the back of the manual but they must be free of any notes containing coding rules and guidelines from other reference materials (for example, Coding Clinic, Home Health ICD-10-CM Coding Answers, and similar materials).
- Alphabetical section dividers
- Post-It notes
- Loose papers or any other papers attached by any means
HOA Certificate Exam:
- OASIS-C2 Assessment form
- Chapter 3 of OASIS-C2 Guidance Manual
- Wound Ostomy Continence Nurses Society Guidance on OASIS-C2 Integumentary Items
- OASIS Considerations for Medicare PPS Patients
- CMS Quarterly Q&As
The above materials are available for purchase as a complete binder entitled: The OASIS-C2 Form Companion. The candidate may supplement this guide with the published quarterly Q&As. Version year 2016 or 2017 is acceptable. See the DecisionHealth online store for details.
In lieu of purchasing the above resources, you may download the materials from various regulatory sites or purchase materials from any other vendor; however, the materials MUST be clearly labeled and bound in ONE binder.
In addition to the above materials, for the HOA certificate exam, you may use the CY2016 ICD-10-CM Case-Mix Adjustment Variables and Scores table provided here during the online exam.