Your annual HCS-D, HCS-O, HCS-H and/or HCS-C recertification offers an ongoing value to your profession and employer, ensuring that you demonstrate ongoing competence in the content areas in which you were certified.
Recertification of your credential requires that you earn twenty (20) CEUs between the anniversary date and expiration date of your current credential cycle. These dates are found above your CEU tracker. If you are unable to log into your Tracker, contact customer service at 1-855-225-5341.
To recertify you must:
- Earn ten (10) of the required CEUs by completing your mandatory annual coding, OASIS, hospice or compliance self-assessments (view instructions for
accessing self-assessments here). CEUs earned from self-assessments are loaded into your tracker by BMSC
within three (3) business days. Please keep this in mind as you are responsible for starting your recertification process in enough time to meet the required deadlines.
Please keep the self-assessment CEU certificates for your records, in case you are audited.
- Earn the remaining ten (10) or more CEUs by participating in accepted and qualified CEU activities and document that activity in your CEU tracker. Make sure to keep any documentation of CEUs for at least one year for auditing purposes.
- Pay your recertification fee by clicking the blue “Recertify Now” button on your CEU tracker after you have completed your twenty (20) CEUs.
Wondering how you can earn additional CEUs? Learn more by visiting Qualifying Continuing Education Activities and Calculation of CEUs on the AHCC website.
- The recertification cycle for a HCS-D, HCS-O, HCS-H and/or HCS-C credential holder begins the day the credential is awarded (the date you receive notification from BMSC that you passed the exam, not the date you took the exam.)
- The certification is active for one calendar year. The credential holder must fulfill his or her recertification requirements and submit the applicable fee before his or her credential expires in order to maintain certification. Any recertifications submitted within 90 days after the credential expires will be subject to a 15% late fee. Note that 90 days after a credential expires it will be revoked and cannot be recertified.
- Active: based on meeting the recertification requirements
- Failure to complete and pass the two (2) annual coding, OASIS, hospice and/or compliance self-review assessments between the anniversary date and expiration date of the current certification cycle. The two self-assessment reviews are worth 10 CEUs (5 CEUs per assessment)
- Failure to complete 10 additional CEU educational activities between the anniversary date and expiration date of the current certification cycle.
* BMSC provides a three (3) month window for credential holders who have been placed on inactive status to meet recertification requirements and report CEUs. Therefore, any credential holder who has not met recertification requirements by 90 days past the expiration date/of his certification cycle will have his credential revoked. The credential may not be used during the period of inactive status. A late fee is imposed to re-activate a credential within the 90 day grace period.
- Revoked (2 reasons)
- Failure to complete and report recertification requirements within certification cycle.
- BMSC Appeals Committee or AHCC Professional Ethics Committee decision regarding misconduct.
* Credential holders who do not report their CEUs will have their credential revoked. Individuals may not use the applicable credential once it has been revoked.
Reinstatement of Credentials
BMSC provides one way to reinstate a credential:
Reactivate by Exam
- Retake the applicable certification exam. Register for the exam here.
After an inactive certification has lapsed beyond the 90 day grace period, without receipt by BMSC of the application to reinstate, the only way to be reinstated and returned to active status is to retake the applicable certification exam.